#005 | WHO THE F*CK IS: AAZAR?
Co-author of the famous Pop That, collaborator of such stars as The Chainsmokers and Tiesto, member of Point Point group and long-time friend of DJ Snake. In the fifth installment of #WTFI we present a French representative of the trap scene – Aazar, who in the beginning of August joined Martin Garrix label with his collab w/ Bellecour entitled Bonaparte. We present a few (more than fifteen) facts about him, thanks to which you will get to know the course of his musical adventure so far.
1. Aazar lives in Paris, grew up on the outskirts of Paris, and he got his DJ’ing love from his father, who was also a DJ when he was young. It wasn’t his regular job – he played in clubs on weekends and earned his living as a photographer.
2. Before music became his full-time job, he had a normal job for 3 years and one of his jobs was in IKEA.
3. In earlier years he performed under a different alias, but when he started to take music production seriously, he and his friend decided to change his alias. Why “Aazar”? They were looking for something that would start with two “A’s” to make his stage name appear at the top of the searches.
4. The first internationally recognized producer thath Aazar met was not DJ Snake. It was the duo Alesia, then members of the OWSLA label, co-authors of Bird Machine, from which he drew a lot of production knowledge.
5. The Frenchman is a member of Point Point, which was initially a collective responsible for throwing trap parties in Paris. Its members are LH4L, Aazar, Nömak and DVTGD. Apart from creating trap raves, all four of them created music together. In 2014 Nömak created the demo called Life In Grey, and because it didn’t fit in stylistically with any of them, they decided to create a new project, release this single and “see what happens”. To this day Life In Grey has crossed the barrier of 6 million hits on SoundCloud, and their debut EP was released by OWSLA.
6. About how Aazar met DJ Snake personally he wrote under one of his Instagram posts, about which we wrote here.
7. His first release was a collab with trap legend UZ titled Shake. Asked how it happened, he answered:
“I played a demo of “Shake” at a gig I was doing and someone came up to me and asked me “Who created this?”The next thing I know, about a week later, I received an email saying UZ wants to collaborate on that track.By the way shout out to UZ because he believed in me and my music without knowing me .”.
8. After the release of Shake, Aazar caught the attention of MAD DECENT (a label owned by Diplo), where he released Reload, Rundat and remix to DJ Snake and Dillon Francis’s Get Low.
9. He met Skrillex during one of his concerts in France, on which he took an 8-hour car trip. At the same time, Sonny was on tour with DJ Snake, who showed him Aazar’s music. In the near future, a remix for his Dirty Vibe was made and since then Aazar and Skrillex have been really close friends.
10. One of the most popular songs of the Frenchman are those released at the turn of 2014-2016. Especially his remixes to Nas’ Made You Look, Come Get Her with Rea Sremmurd and the famous Pop That w/ 4B.
11. In 2017, Aazar had already performed with such American giants as Coachella and Electric Daisy Carnival.
12. A year later, his collab with The Chainsmokers, Siren, saw the light of day. He told the team noiseporn how it happened.
“The collab with The Chainsmokers was unexpected! We have been going back and forth sharing music for a long time now. One day I was in Japan and they sent me a DM on Twitter asking me if I was down to try something with them. And of course, I was!
I sent them an idea I had, and they loved it. From there we went back and forth. It was nice because we work with the same DAW, so it was very easy to collab. Plus, they were open-minded to a lot of things and had good advice so it was a pleasure to collab with them.
They only worked together on it one day in Berlin, the rest of the work was done remotely.
13. During the conversation with Lauren from Sidewalk Talk, he revealed that he wasn’t working on a new album, but he doesn’t rule out releasing a new EP. Full 30-minutes long interview You can watch here.
fun fact: Aazar hasn’t released any album or mini-album to this day. His discography is based only on single singles.
14. Another of his powerful production successes took place this year. A few months ago Tiesto released a new album entitled Together, containing Diamonds (ft. Micky Blue), co-authored by Aazar. Also in this case, it wasn’t the Frenchman who came up with the initiative of cooperation! The Dutchman contacted him from his private email address, informing him that he had been supporting his productions for a long time and would like to meet him, spend some time and talk about the music. They met, played a couple of concerts together and here came the trap banger Diamonds:
15. In early May, Aazar released a refreshed version of his Gyal single called Diva, a collaboration with Swae Lee and Tove Lo, which has already generated more than 5 million YouTube page views. The production has received two packages of remixes, on which guest appearances of such personalities as Damien N-Drix, Yung Felix or ETC! ETC!.
Currently, the Frenchman is trying to slowly move away from the trap sounds and is trying his hand at house music. Examples of this are two great collaborations with Bellecour – Bonaparte, which was released by STMPD RCRDS and Da Vinci. Long-term supporters of his production are Nils and Jim from Yellow Claw. Back Home w/ Bellorum or Booty Time w/ Cesqeaux can be heard in their live sets to this day. Aazar has also appeared few times in the ranks of Barong Family, and the most recent example of this is the latest RayRay’s EP, which includes their collab called Back’n Forth.
And when it comes to our favorite Frenchman track, we choose Jersey Club remix for You Know You Like It by DJ Snake and AlunaGeorge:
001 | PEEKABOO – here
002 | Kompany – here
003 | HEKLER – here
004 | Ekali – here